When I saw that today was Friday the 13th, I started wondering about it's history. So, of course, I Googled it! I found some interesting stuff.......
Millions of people are afraid of Friday the 13th to the point that they will not go to work, or even set foot outside their home on this allegedly evil day. Most high rise buildings do not have a 13th floor. Airports do not have a gate 13. Hospitals do not have rooms numbered 13, on any floor.
Is it silly? Maybe.
1. One of the first horrors in history to have happened on this date was on October 13, 1307. In France, King Philip IV ordered raids on the homes of the Knights Templar, who were warrior monks during the Crusades. Hundreds were tortured to death trying to force then to admit to heresy and other sacrilegious offenses.
2. On January 13, 1939 horrific bush fires decimated Australia, killing 36 people and causing the incident to be labeled "Black Friday."
3. The Nazis dropped five bombs on Buckingham Palace during World War II, on September 13, 1940, destroying the Palace Chapel.
4. On July 13, 1951, after days of relentless rain in northeastern Kansas, the rivers poured over their banks, putting the cities of Topeka, Lawrence, and Manhattan underwater.
5. Half a million people were killed in Bangladesh in the worst cyclone in history, on Friday, November 13, 1970.
6. On Friday, November 13, 1972 a plane carrying a Uruguayan rugby team crashed in the Andes
7. On January 13, 1989, the "Friday the 13th Virus" was released and infected hundreds of computers in England. It was one of the first major virus releases.
8. There was a major stock exchange crash on Friday, October 13th, 1989
9. On October 13, 2006, a freak snowstorm hit upstate New York in which 3 people died and incurred 130 million dollars in damages.
10. The cruise ship Concordia struck a reef and ended up on it's side. While most of the passengers were rescued, 32 people lost their lives because of the wreck.
As you can see, lots of bad things have happened on Friday the 13th, in the past. But not everything that happens is bad. Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock was born on August 13, 1899. Unfortunately, the first movie he was to have directed, "Number 13" was never finished due to financial troubles.
Oh unlucky 13!
Have a lucky weekend!
If you want to explore more facts regarding Friday the 13th, it's history and stories, this is a really interesting book that is so inexpensive, it is practically a steal!
Friday the 13th