Today I want to share with you a very old recipe that I discovered in my Mom's things when she passed away a few years ago. I thought it was an interesting recipe when I found it. The little paperback recipe book it was in was so old the pages were yellowed to almost brown and the writing actually looked like it came from an old fashioned ditto machine. Remember those? If not Google it! Anyway, the cover was torn off, and there is no marks on it as to where it came from. I suspect it may have been handmade, like maybe at a church or school.
The recipes in this book are very old fashioned. I look forward to sharing more of them with you. I hope you enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease cookie sheet
- In a large bowl mix brown sugar and shortening
- Place egg, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl and beat well, add to brown sugar mixture
- Add half the buttermilk and stir in half the flour
- Mix well, then add the rest of the buttermilk and flour
- Stir until well combined
- Drop teaspoon sized blobs of dough onto the greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them
- Eat them warm or let them cool, and these cookies keep well in a jar
Have a great weekend,