My husband and I have decided to have a couple of meatless meals per week. There are several reasons for this:
- Saves money
- Less calories
I know not all people will agree with the last one, but studies have shown that a diet with less meat is good for digestive and heart health, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure. Since we are not getting any younger, we figure now is the time to make some changes in our diet. No time like the present!
So from now on, I will be including some vegetarian meals on this blog. Don’t worry, they will be as deliciously tasty as any of my other recipes because I will test them before ever sharing them with you all!
My hubby does not like broccoli, so I made this Alfredo with cauliflower instead. Actually, you can use any vegetables that you like in this recipe. Eggplant would be a great addition (another that hubby does not like), or squash. I chose the veggies that we like best, but feel free to substitute what you like. I also went with whole wheat pasta and flour because my hubby is diabetic, but you can use regular pasta if you prefer.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat fettuccine noodles
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (I use button or white)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup 2% milk (can use whole)
- 1 tablespoon real butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices (basil and oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Add 1 cup cauliflower during last 2 minutes of cooking the pasta and set aside.
- Place 1/2 a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and add onion, mushroom and pepper. Saute until onions are starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take the carrots and put them in a bowl of water and microwave on high for 10 minutes. If the carrots are not soft microwave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth.
- On medium heat, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly
- Add 2 cups cauliflower and garlic and bring to a boil, cook 15 minutes or until cauliflower is completely soft
- Pour mixture into a blender with milk, Italian spices, remaining butter, lemon juice, salt, and half of the cheese.
- Remove the middle piece of blender lid so the steam can escape and place the lid on blender. Place a clean paper towel over opening in blender lid, so nothing splatters, and puree.
- When the mixture is totally smooth, return mixture to pan on simmer and add carrots and sauteed onion, peppers and mushrooms, stir till everything is hot.
- Add pasta and cauliflower to the mixture in the sauce pan, stirring to coat.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and a pinch of Italian spices.
- Pour Alfredo into a serving dish and sprinkle the cheese and bread crumb mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Trust me, if you make this dish, you will never miss the meat, it is truly fabulous!
Have a great weekend!