In Five Days or Less !
Growing your own sprouts is easy and fun, I just started growing them a couple months ago, and I could not believe how quick and easy it is. I also have found myself putting them in and on stuff that I never did before like stir fries and salads. I even have begun tossing them into my smoothies.
There are many reasons why you should grow your own sprouts, but the main reason is that they are so highly concentrated with nutrients that you get major benefits from eating small amounts. The process of sprouting substantially increases the vitamins, enzymes, minerals and protein of the seeds and also decreases the carbohydrates and calories. What could be better? What are some other benefits of sprouting your own?
- growing your own is much cheaper than buying sprouts
- you know that they have no chemicals or preservatives on them
- they are as fresh and tasty as sprouts get, since they are just picked
- you can decide which kinds you like best and which ones mix the best
- and last but not least, not to be gross, but sprouting get rid of the gaseous problems that often come from eating seeds and beans.
Sprouting is simple to do, and takes very little time out of your day.
- Place a couple of teaspoons of seeds in a mason jar and soak them in water overnight.
- Place a piece of nylon screen or cheese cloth over the mounth of the jar and screw on the ring tightly. Tip the jar and drain off the water and rinse the seeds thoroughly.
- Lay the jar on it's side and place in a light place, but not directly in the sunlight.
- Rinse the sprouts in the morning and evening. To rinse hold the jar under the faucet, run two inches of water, and swish for 60 seconds, then pour water out of the top of the jar. Return the jar to its side. It is very important that you do this to prevent mold.
- After 3 to 5 days, the sprouts should be 2 to 2 1/2 inches long and ready to harvest. You can eat them immediately, or store in an open plastic bag in the refrigerator. They do not stay fresh more than a few days, so eat them as soon as possible.
I have always purchased my sprouting seeds from Amazon because I trust them to provide organic, non GMO seeds, if that is what they say they are. These are the first two seed packages I bought. I bought the sampler so I could try different kinds of seeds to see which I liked and big jar is a seed mix designed especially for salads, it is totally awesome! All the seeds I have purchased from Amazon have produced gorgeous, delicious sprouts, so I can personally recommend them.
| || |
Tomorrow I will share my favorite sprout recipe!
Image Credits: http://tinyurl.com/n86sel4