Mattresses are some of the most used, least cleaned items in our lives. We sleep on them every night, but how often do we even vacuum them, let alone clean them? At the very least you should vacuum your mattress every time you change the sheets, but even then, you may find unwanted odors clinging to your mattress like cigarette smoke or pet urine. You can clean your mattress with a carpet cleaner, but it takes days for it to dry. I have tried several way to deodorize my mattress and I finally found a way that works!
1. Sprinkle baking soda all over the top of the mattress and leave it overnight. Vacuum off the next day.
2. Spray lightly with orange scented cleaner and let dry. Vacuum.
3. Spray with Febreeze and let dry, spray again and wait 2 hours, then vacuum.
4. Mix half vinegar and half water and spritz both sides, very lightly. Lean mattress against the wall in full sunlight for a full day. The vinegar smell should go away after being in the sunlight for a few hours.
5. Place dryer sheets on top of the mattress, under the mattress cover.
Never spray bleach on your mattress or other caustic cleaners, they may irritate your skin or lungs. If you have particularly bad pet urine odor, you make want to use a product like Pet Trainer's Choice Urine Destroyer to get rid of it before deodorizing the rest of the mattress.
Have a great week!