Since it is kind of sweet, many people only use it as a flavoring in puddings, cakes and desserts. However, it is also really delicious on meat. It is an excellent ingredient to add to dry meat rubs and marinades on beef, pork and even fish. If you have not ever used it, then it is time that you started! It is easy to make, and the flavor is so much more pronounced when it is ground fresh.
Put all ingredients into a coffee or spice grinder and pulse a few time and then grind continuous for 50 seconds. If you don't have a spice grinder or a coffee grinder, then you can crush the ingredients with a mortar and pestle or grate them on a super fine grater
Store in an air tight container
- 3 generous handfuls of your favorite greens, like romaine, spinach, arugula, etc.
- 1/2 cup of pea pods (optional)
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (whatever kind you like)
- 1 chicken breast and two thighs (skinless)
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 small red chilie (how hot is up to you)
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- pinch of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place a skillet over medium heat and drop in peanut oil, swirling over bottom of the pan
- Place chicken in a skillet and stir to cook
- Finely slice the chili, add it and the ginger, five-spice powder, and garlic to the chicken.
- In a small bowl put the peanut oil, ginger, garlic, 5 spice, chili, and stir vigorously
- Add chicken and toss to thoroughly coat
- Place chicken in a hot wok or skillet and cook thoroughly
- When the chicken is almost done, sprinkle the brown sugar and lime juice and finish cooking
- Salt to taste
- Remove from heat and add pea pods (if using) and toss to coat
- Spread your greens mix on a plate and put a generous portion of the chicken and pea pods on top and add a generous portion of sprouts on top and then sprinkle with sesame seeds If you prefer wilted greens, you can put the greens in the skillet or wok and toss to wilt before plating.
Have a great day,
The owner of Homemade by Jade is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com as well as other retail websites. This does not incur any extra cost for the buyer and helps to support this website.