In the Oven or Crockpot
Oven Apple Spread
- 9 medium apples, about 3 pounds, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice or cider
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spread apples in a large roasting pan
- Pour apple juice over the apples
- Bake for 30 minutes until soft and slightly browned
- Remove from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees
- Thoroughly mash the apples with a potato masher (can use a food processor if you prefer)
- Put the roasting pan back in the oven and stir apples occasionally
- Bake for 90 minutes or until the apples are dark brown and have thickened to a spread consistency
- Scrape the apple spread into a bowl and let cool to room temperature
You can store your apple spread in any container with an air tight lid, like a mason jar. Just remember that it will not last as long as the store bought variety because it has no preservatives.
If you feel that it is not sweet enough, you can add agave nectar or honey to the apples at the mashing stage, just stir to mix well. If you would like to add more flavor you can add cinnamon, nutmeg and a small pinch of cloves at the same stage.
- Put everything in the crockpot and cook on low for 10 hours
- Once the apples are darkened, scoop into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Pour apple mixture back into the crockpot
- Put the lid back on slightly ajar and cook for two more hours
- Turn off the crockpot and let cool
Store the same way as the oven apple spread and sweeten the same way if you feel it is not sweet enough.
These recipes can also be used with pears or peaches. I especially like cinnamon pear spread with a couple tablespoons of honey. Delish!
I hope you enjoy!