- 1 quart water (32 ounces or about 1 liter)
- 1 quart cheapo lemon/line soda pop
- 8 ounces of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar (can use sugar substitute if you prefer)
- Sliced real lemons for garnish (optional)
In a large pitcher, mix all the ingredients and add ice (not to much, it waters it down) and sliced lemons and chill for at least an hour.
You can use any lemon/lime pop you want, like Sprite or 7up, but I use the off brand cheap pop and it is just as delicious. If you don't like to drink pop, you can replace it with club soda, but I don't think it's as flavorful. You may want to use more or less sugar, to your taste.
If you like flavored lemonade, this recipe is easy to flavor, here are some of my favorite lemonade flavorings:
- Pineapple Lemonade - replace half the water with 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice and add pineapple chunks
- Strawberry Lemonade - add 1 cup pureed fresh strawberries (strained) and one cup sliced strawberries
- Ginger Lemonade - take 2 and a half inches of fresh ginger root and slice it. Boil it in 1 quart of water for 20 minutes. Strain out the ginger, cool the water and replace this water for the quart of water in the original recipe.
- Iced Tea Lemonade - Replace the quart of water in the original recipe with unsweetened iced tea.
- Cherry Mint Lemonade - crush one cup of mint leaves and steep in the water for at least an hour. Strain the leaves out, make the lemonade as usual and add once cup of pureed cherries. (strained) Stir and chill.
- Orange Lemonade - Replace lemon/lime pop with orange pop and add orange slices to the lemon slices in the pitcher.
An easy way to flavor your lemonade without needing any fruit is to use Kool-aid. Make unsweetened Kool-aid and replace the water in the recipe with Kool-aid, whatever flavor you like.
Another way to flavor your lemonade is to fill ice cube trays with either pureed fruit, juice or Kool-aid and freeze, then add to your lemonade.
Make some of my lemonade for your Forth of July, and let me know what you think!
Have a great holiday,
| || |