As an added bonus, you know exactly what you are getting with these pickles. They don't have a ton of hidden salt, sugar, or preservatives. I know this sounds too good to be true, but trust me, it isn't. I know because I did it and I have never made refrigerator pickles before in my life. These pickles are delicious!
- large bowl
- mason jar and lid
- 8 to 10 small pickling cucumbers - You can use any size cucumbers that you have, they do not have to be small pickling cucumbers. I used large cucumbers because that is what I had, and I sliced them like hamburger dills. You can also slice them long way to make spears if you prefer.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill weed or 3 to 4 tablespoons dried dill
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling salt - can use regular salt but it may make the solution cloudy
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh dill weed - can skip if you don't have any - use a bit more dried
In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, water, vinegar, chopped dill, sugar, garlic, salt, pickling spice, and red pepper flakes.
Stir, and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring occasionally so the sugar and salt dissolve.
Place a sprig of fresh dill into each jar
Remove the cucumbers to two pint jars, dividing them between the jars
Ladle in the liquid from the bowl to one inch from the top, splitting the garlic and other items between the two jars and screw on lids.
Refrigerate for 10 days before eating. Use within 2 months.
I had so many sweet banana peppers and zucchinis this year, that I decided to make a batch of these "pickles" using sliced peppers, onions and zucchini. I made them the same way I made the cucumbers.
This is what they look like.
I could not wait taste them, I opened one jar on the 9th day and had a taste. I was floored! I think these were even more tasty than the cucumber pickles. I can hardly wait to chop some of these and put them in tuna, it is going to be delicious!
I hope that I have managed to change your mind about making your own pickles. These cold pack refrigerator pickles are as simple to make as a batch of cookies. Try it for yourself and see!
Have a great weekend,