- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups of uncooked rice (type not specified so your choice!)
- 1 quart of tomato puree
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (type not specified, I used English)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chili seasoning (I use smoked paprika)
- 1 cup cheese (type not specified so your choice!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet mix sausage and oregano and fry until cooked through
- Remove meat from pan, leaving drippings
- Put rice in the pan and fry until it starts to turn brown, then add onion, garlic and pepper
- Fry all until the onion turns yellow and peppers are softened
- Add tomato puree, tomatoes, peas, sausage, paprika, salt and pepper if needed
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until rice is soft
- Spoon mixture onto plates and sprinkle generously with cheese
- Serve as cheese melts with hot bread or biscuits.
The recipe does not say what kind of cheese, so that is a decision you will have to make. I used a sprinkling of Parmesan because I am not a fan of melted cheese on rice.
Experiment with different kinds or you could put a few different kinds on the table and let your family choose the cheese they like best! Enjoy!
Have a great weekend!