I have been making a concerted effort to change the way I eat, in the last few months. I have done a lot of reading and research, and I have run across some pretty disturbing stuff. Because of that, I have switched over to almost all organic veggies and fruit; the stuff I cannot grow myself and still buy at the market.
- Non-organic foods are produced using GMOs. (genetically modified organisms) The use of GMOs has been linked to digestive problems and many other health problems, even cancer. The truth is GMOs have not been around long enough to even know what they are doing to the people that eat them. But it's a good guess it's not good things.
- Non-organic food is produced using toxic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Over 70% of non-organic food contain the residue of these harmful substances
- Non-organic crops are fertilized with chemical fertilizers that release huge amounts of nitrous oxide, an extremely harsh greenhouse gas that has been a part of the climate destabilization of our planet.
- Non-organic food may be irradiated with nucleur waste to kill microorganisms and bateria like e coli and salmonella. What is actually does is destoy part of the nutritional value and cause substances to be produced which have been linked to cancer, like benzene.
- Non-organic farmers routinely use municiple sewer sludge from cities as fertilizer. This sludge contains all kinds of toxic substances like pharmaceutical drugs, heavy metals, flame retardants, and carcinogens. This are the substances the food grows in.
- Non-organic produce has been found not to have as high a nutritional value. They also have lower levels of trace minerals and anti-oxidants.
- Buying non-organic food is supporting the businesses that have traditionally shown no remorse for deliberately poisoning the public just to increase their own profits. Small , organic farmers are the ones that we need to be supporting. They are the ones that deserve our business.
We have traded our health for cheaper food long enough, it is time for us to make an informed choice as to what we eat and why. I have made that choice along with millions of other people. Over 50% of the public prefer to buy organic. Let's make that number 100% and put poisoners out of business for good.
*hopping off my soapbox and going to the kitchen to enjoy a slice of organic watermelon*
Image Credit: http://tinyurl.com/k3k5yf8