Who doesn't love crockpot meals? Easy to make, and delicious to eat, I think you will find this is one of the best. I really love Mexican food, but it usually takes a lot of effort to make and serve, so I decided to try making a crockpot Mexican casserole that I could toss together and just let it cook all afternoon, and be ready to serve at dinner. This is what I came up with, and it was instantly loved by my husband, who loves Mexican as much as I do!
Crockpot Mexican Casserole
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 3 1/2 ounce can green chiles
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 14 ounce tomatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional if you like heat)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups 3 cheese Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 2 cups water
- Fry the hamburger until it is no longer pink (do not overcook!)
- Pour uncooked rice and water into the crockpot
- Add hamburger in an even layer
- Add black beans, corn, chilies, garlic, pepper and onion and stir to mix.
- Crush bouillon cube and sprinkle over mixture
- Add 1 cup cheese spread evenly
- Pour in tomato sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the black pepper, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cumin till well blended
- Sprinkle spices over the mixture in the crockpot
- Turn the crockpot on high and let cook for 4 and 1/2 hours
- Remove lid and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and re-cover
- Cook for another 1/2 hour or till melted into the casserole
I serve this with tortilla chips, sour cream and non alcoholic sangria. It never fails to please! If you have never made non alcohholic sangria, below is the recipe. I make it because my husband is diabetic and cannot drink, but it is also great for households with kids.
Non Alcoholic Sangria Recipe
- 1 apple, peeled and cut in slices
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lime sliced with the rind on
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 orange, sectioned
- a handful of fresh cherries
- 3/4 cup cranberry-grape juice frozen concentrate, thawed
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 cups seltzer water
- Place apple slices, cherries and lemon juice to the pitcher and stir.
- Add the orange sections, and juice, the lime slices and the cranberry-grape frozen concentrate and the sugar. (we use Splenda)
- Refrigerate for two hours and then add the seltzer water and stir to combine
This is a great unusual winter meal, we really love it. It is also great to make for a potluck, it's always well received!
The owner of Homemade by Jade is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com as well as other retail websites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.