Are you looking for a lovely cookie to make for your Valentine this year? If you are sick of the pink icing, sprinkles and sugar crystals and are looking for something a bit more grown up and beautiful, this is the cookie for you. This jam filled beauty never fails to impress but are actually very easy to make. I prefer mine plain, but you can also dust them with powdered sugar for a more delicate look.
Jam Filled Valentine's Cookies
- Spray cookie sheet with butter flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place the flour and softened butter. You can mix with a mixer, but I prefer to mix with my hands till the consistency is fairly fine crumble.
- Using an electric mixer, eggs and sugar on high for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Pour this mixture in the bowl with the flour and fold in gently until well mixed
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and vinegar and stir until mixed. Pour into the cookie batter and fold in
- Add the honey and mix it into the dough until well combined. It should form a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter to rest at room temp for half an hour.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Generously flour your counter and divide your dough in half. Leave half in the plastic and roll out the other to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using your main cookie cutter, cut out solid shapes and place on cookie sheet
- Take the other half of your dough and roll it out 1/2 inch thick and cut it out with the cookie cutter and place on the second cookie sheet. If your dough gets sticky when rolling, add more flour to the counter.
- Take a one inch heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out the center of one cookie sheet of cookies. I save the hearts and bake them as snacks, You could also use them as decorations.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Make sure to watch them constantly after 5 minutes, they can burn quickly if you are not paying close attention.
- Remove them from oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet.
- When the whole cookies are completely cooled to room temperature, put a teaspoon of jam on each and spread over the cookie top. Place the cookie with the cutout on top and press gently.
Let the cookies sit for an hour or two for a better result. The jam seeps into the cookie and makes it even more flavorful. Make some of these for your honey for the holiday, I guarantee they will love them!
Have a great weekend,