- apples (I use Granny Smith because they have harder, more firm flesh)
- a paring knife with a pointed end
- a bottle of lemon juice
- a tablespoon of salt
- parchment paper or a dehydrator
- If you don't have a dehydrator, preheat your oven to 150 degrees or the lowest setting you have and crack the door (you want to dry them, not cook them!)
- In a fairly deep bowl, pour your lemon juice and add the salt, stir to dissolve, set aside
- Peel the apples
- Carve the faces*
- Immerse the head completely in the salted lemon juice for 20 seconds and blot dry
- If using a regular oven, put parchment on a cookie sheet, place heads on the paper and place in the oven for approximately 4 hours or however long it takes to dry them
- If using a dehydrator, remove all trays but the bottom one and place the heads on it and turn on to 125 degrees for 6 hours or however long it takes to dry them
- Remove from heat and place on a window sill to make you laugh till time to put them in your cider. If you need a good cider recipe check out this one: Spicy, Mulled Cider
I found this Zombie Punch Bowl on Amazon and I just had to have it. It is perfect for shrunken head cider!
Have a great weekend!