Say Goodbye to Summer and Have Fun Doing It!
How can you say good bye? Here are 6 fun things you can do, before the leaves begin to fall. Notice I said FUN. This list does not include chores!
1. Do your morning (or evening) exercise routine outside on your exercise mat. Enjoy the smells and sounds of the season.
2. Eat watermelon in the backyard with your kids and their friends. Remember eating watermelon when you were a kid?
3. Play outside with your kids after supper. Soon it will be dark by suppertime.
4. Pick the rest of your vegetables from your garden and make Summers End Soup for dinner. It's easy to make:
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- vegetables from your garden
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh grated garlic if you grow it
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- a handful of pasta or rice whichever you prefer
- Put everything but the pasta or rice in a big soup pot and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Toss in pasta or rice and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until pasta or rice is done
- Serve with bread sticks or crackers and fruit
If you don't have a garden this year, visit a farmers market and pick up some veggies for your soup. Any vegetables you like will work like potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, peppers. Whatever you love!
The farmer will appreciate the business and your family will appreciate the soup!
5. Go the the lake or beach, one last time. Even if it is too chilly to swim, take off your shoes and walk along the shore in the water. Collect pretty rocks or shells. Say goodbye to
the water until next year.
6. Have a summers end BBQ. Cook and eat outside (even if you have to wear sweaters) Enjoy the company of friends in the outdoors. Don't forget the s'mores!