A Homemade by Jade Original!
One thing that I love to do is to look at what I have in the cupboard, and make a crazy, never before tried, dish for dinner. Yesterday afternoon I want in just such a mood, so I started looking around the cabinet, freezer and fridge.
The first thing I decided was that it was going to involve barbecue chicken. I love barbecue chicken, and I rarely get to eat it. I also saw that I had a large bag of potatoes that had been around for a while, and needed to be used.
So what dish do you make with potatoes and BBQ chicken? My first thought was baked potatoes dressed with pulled barbecue chicken and cheese. Then I had a better idea:
So this is the casserole I came up with, it is just a bit crazy:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray
- In a small bowl mix olive oil with a pinch of garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper and chicken seasoning and stir to mix
- Cut the potatoes 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick and lay in the bottom of the 13 x 9 pan, covering it.
- Brush potatoes with the olive oil mixture, place a second layer potatoes over the first and brush with the remainder of the olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- While your potatoes are cooking, chop your peppers and onions and slice your mushrooms and place in a large bowl
- Chop your chicken or pull it if you prefer and add it to the bowl of vegetables
- Sprinkle mixture with garlic powder and chicken seasoning
- Thoroughly mix the chicken and vegetables and add a half a cup of barbecue sauce, stirring until well mixed. If you want more barbecue sauce, add it now.
- After 30 minutes remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle with half a cup of cheese and then add the chicken mixture, smoothing it out over the potatoes.
- Place the casserole back in the oven for twenty minutes. (uncovered)
- Remove casserole from oven, spread a cup of cheese on the top and put back in the oven till the cheese melts, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
I served this with a side of sliced cucumbers and carrot sticks. It was the perfect cool crunch to go with the hot, cheesy, barbecued goodness of this dish! After the first couple of bites, my husband and I looked at each other, totally amazed! It was delicious! My husband smiled and said "this is a keeper!" 'Nuff said!
Try making this over the weekend, and see what you think!