I really love Gingerbread Ornaments on my tree. Not only are they cute, but they smell great! If you want to make some for your tree, here is the simple, 4 ingredient recipe. You don't even have to bake them, just roll them out, cut and let dry! It's a fun family activity that is inexpensive and kids love doing it!
Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons white glue (not school glue)
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon glitter if want to add sparkle to your ornaments!
- Lay out a two foot piece of parchment paper on your counter and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and hand stir well until the dough is smooth.
- Knead dough, folding several times
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on your counter.
- Press down on the ball flattening it. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out your shapes with a cookie cutter and place on the parchment paper
- Knead the scraps together and roll out until all your dough is used
- Make a hole in the top of each ornament with a cocktail straw or wooden skewer
- Let dry at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, turning them two or three times during the drying process.
- Makes about 12 ornaments per batch
If you want to decorate your ornaments, you can paint them, but i would recommend only using paint for colorful accents, like faces or gingerbread men or ornaments on a tree shape. I would not paint the entire ornament because it may seal it and make it soft without air to keep it completely dry. You can also glue buttons or bow on them for decoration. As long as most of the ornament is open to the air, it should be good for many years, you just have to treat it gently, like you would any other ornament that is breakable.
This is my favorite paint to use for this project. It comes in regular and also in glitter for a very reasonable price. It also is washable, which is great if you have kids, or are just clumsy, like me!
click here to see them.
Have a great week!
The owner of Homemade by Jade is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com as well as other retail websites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.