- I love chips of any kind, the lower calorie, the better
- I have a cucumber population explosion in my garden
I did some research on dehydrating cucumbers because it's one of the few things I have never dehydrated before. It's not rocket science, it's pretty straight forward. This is how I did it:
How to Make Them:
1. Washed and dried 6 medium cucumbers
2. Sliced them with a sharp knife about 1/8 of an inch thick
3. The slices that I planned to make with the salt and vinegar recipe (for me was about half, since it is my favorite) I placed in a covered bowl of red wine vinegar, over night.
4. I sprayed the trays of my dehydrator with cooking spray, because cucumbers are bad to stick. If you don't have cooking spray, then you can oil them with your fingertip dipped in olive or your preferred oil.
5. Place the slices on the trays, and sprinkle them with
the desired flavoring mix.
7. At ten hours, I started checking about every 30 minutes. When they are crunchy, through and through when you bite into them. they are done.
Smokin' Hot Chips
Sorry, I don't have a picture of this recipe, I didn't make it because we don't care for hot chips.
Next I plan to try dehydrating some squash chips. I seem to have a proliferation of butternut squash, so after I freeze enough to last us the winter, I will be drying some chips. I will let you know how that goes.
Have a great week,
If you want to learn all there is about drying food, this is the book you want:
I loved this book because it covered more than just dehydrating with a food dehydrator. It also covers sun drying, oven drying, air drying and even drying in the microwave. The author gives her opinion of the benefits and drawbacks of each method.
In addition to that, food storage is also covered in this book, as well as how to use dehydrated food and she even provides a lot of recipes for using dried foods.
This book is really all you need, if you want to learn to dry food. I highly recommend it.
Yes We Have Some Bananas, We Have Some Bananas Today - Post 1
The Dehydrating Banana Update - Post 2